What Indianapolis, Indiana is doing wrong……

I apologize for my lack of posts here the past week. I have been busy and work has taken most all of my time. Hopefully I will be back on a more regular basis now. Working also, on a new video on YouTube. Check them out sometime. They are called Wise Conservatisms Videoside Chats.

Again, thank you for reading here. Wise Conservatism’s family appreciate the people who read and comment.
-Robert Garding-

Indianapolis has been a booming metropolis for years now, but the city planners are working with liberal groups to change that.

One of the things that has made Indianapolis such a good place to live, is the ease at which residents have to get around. Good roads, and constantly improving roads the roads we drive on.

Washington street has been reduced from a decent thoroughfare to a horrible one for cars. At least half the car lanes are gone in place for bike, pedestrian and bus lanes, leaving cars in the lurch.

Now, if you go into downtown Indianapolis you see what is going on. Especially on Washington street.

In the guise of making things easier to get around, they are taking lanes from the roads, which is where cars drive, and giving the new area to pedestrians and bicyclists. We have more and more cars all the time, and there are few people walking or riding bikes.

And on top of that, a new “light rail” is being planned, even though most of the people here do not want it. And with the people’s sentiment against this, the Indianapolis Star reports that ‘the prices for tickets are going to be low, it is no wonder the people love the idea.’ What????

Listening to the Garrison show on WIBC yesterday gave me most of this information, and I totally concur with what was being said. I drive a big hydraulic assisted box truck and have to go into downtown Indianapolis all the time. I used to enjoy the experience, but now, it is more trouble than it is worth. Traffic congestion and people getting upset that their commute isn’t going a smoothly as it used too.

One lady, who called the Garrison show said that it was a good thing because slower traffic is, as she called it, “traffic calming”. My answer to her is, there is nothing “calming” about being stuck in traffic, when I am used to going in, getting my work done and leaving. I would rather not go there at all.

I stay calm because that is my job, as a professional driver, to take all this into account. But sitting up “high” in my cab I see plenty of people in their cars getting upset and angry because they are realizing they are going to have to start earlier to get to work on time, or, they know they are going to be late now, or they are wondering where they are going to be parking their cars. Calming? Far from it.

The road I am talking about here is old national highway 40. Washington street.

In downtown Indianapolis, it splits to two streets. Maryland which is one way heading east, and Washington, which is one way heading west. In this ‘hubbub’ downtown, Washington has been reduced from a road that moved traffic pretty good at most times, to a road of congestion and time consuming anger because half, if not more of the lanes of travel have been blocked off to put in pedestrian lanes, bike lanes, and of course Bus lanes.

The buses are usually mostly empty and I do not see many bikes down there and the walking people are only walking to get to where they are going after they get out of their cars. What I see is, downtown Indianapolis going from the thriving metropolitan area it is now, to another Detroit. A place where people don’t come anymore because it is too much trouble and you can’t get there in your cars. And if you can….there isn’t any parking for you, and crime has moved in. I do not want to see this for Indianapolis’ downtown, but it is coming.

Parking in downtown Indy was never bad, but it is getting there. Street parking is being done away with, and the only places where you will be able to park in the future seems to be going to parking garages. There isn’t enough space down there to build anymore.

So this is to the ‘city planners’. Why do you mess with something that has worked in the past to change it to something that hasn’t worked anywhere it has been tried?

Leave well enough alone. Stop trying to be progressive in your thinking and stick with what has worked for years. Leave the streets alone downtown, except for improving the movability of the auto. What you are doing now is making it harder to get to our great downtown, and you are creating a new Downtown Detroit. And we all see how that is working. Don’t we? More congestion, less space for the beloved American love of cars, and more time spent to get where you are going. It’s not worth it.

May God Bless our efforts to help get America back, and put God back into our country
God Bless America, Bless all Americans, and bless us to start using more common sense.

This entry was posted in Conservative Talk Blog host and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to What Indianapolis, Indiana is doing wrong……

1. J says:

Robert, I agree with you 100%. I am fighting this too. I think this is just another massive transfer of wealth program from the producers to the moochers, is not sustainable, and our citizens do not want it. My kids call those bike lanes the “death lanes” because they cross traffic in so many places. I never see anyone using them. I noticed that the Indy Connect people were at the State Fair hustling this year with their crew of nodding salesmen. I think this is a huge sham and will bankrupt all of us. Google transit crime and you will see that the criminal class LOVES transit, because they can roam around victimizing innocent people and they don’t get caught. I tried to ride the bus with my kids a few times, and because of the foul behavior of the riders, the nasty stares, and the bad attitudes of the drivers, I will not try again. We love our cars and the progressives hate us for it because it means we love our freedom. If it were up to the lunatic progressives, they would have us all back in the stone age living in mud huts.
    reply from Robert: Sadly, you are right. I cannot disagree with anything you said either. Mass transit seems to breed crime and stuff that we as citizens do not want. Not only do we love our cars, but we also love the freedoms they give us to go wherever we want. Something that the government has been working feverishly to get rid of. Take the electric car phase. The government is working hard to get the electric cars, the Chevy Volt is one and pushing it as the car all Americans want, yet, they can’t sell any. Imagine that. They do not get it that we love our freedoms and will fight anyone who wants to take them away from us……yes, even them.

Thank you for reading. I hope you return.

This post is really disturbing, Robert. What’s happening in Indianapolis is another example of how progressives are determined to use government power on ALL levels to force we, the people to live the way THEY’VE decided is best for us. And conservatives like you and me must be on constant guard against the progressives and their schemes. Semper vigilans. Always vigilant. I’m really beginning to understand what that means.
    reply from Robert: Semper vigilans. Should be the Conservatives war cry from now on. Because in order for us to win, we have to be, Always Vigilant.

3. K says:

Here is a great article from the Washington Post regarding the boondoggle of Mass Transit. Mass transit, much like the TSA, is a jobs program for the un-hireable. Racial density and low-income resident density are other key indicators of the need for public transportation. Not the luring in of businesses and young educated college grads. This is not being planned for any of you, trust me. I have lived in the heart of Mapleton Fall-Creek for over 15 years, and I know who rides the bus…and who does not.

From the article:
    “The homogeneity, interviews with dozens of current and former Metro workers indicated, is a proxy to a clubby culture of favoritism in which merit has little to do with promotions, and accountability, such as noting safety violations, is a career death knell. ”
    And if the poor taxpayer ever decides to wrangle control back for themselves in order to cut the fat, here is what will happen:

Here is the Montgomery, AL plan, which is a very enlightening read:

It is a losing proposition from the start.

Mass transit can not work here. Like I said, I have tried to ride the bus with my kids and did not feel safe. Not a bit safe and I won’t take chances. People need to feel safe. It is because of inner-city crime that people have fled to the suburbs in order to have safe streets, safe decent schools and actual thriving neighborhoods. We should not blame them for wanting safety if they can afford to avoid the criminal infested areas. Now the leftists want to re “connect” the suburbs to the inner-city via mass transit because the inner-city population not sustainable without the hardworking taxpayer. They scream for more jobs and opportunities, but they have created the blight in which they live. I should know, I live here and see it every day. Most of these progressive thinkers live NO WHERE NEAR THE REAL PROBLEM. They are do-gooding from a distance, practicing moral preening for their lefty friends, and are so smart they know exactly what is best for the rest of us.

The Indy Connect plan is a massive transfer of wealth and reparations program. It is a hiring program and more “stimulus”. It is a hatred of freedom, cars, suburban sprawl, and a refusal to dig to find the real problems. Period. This is not sustainable, will never be sustainable, and will bankrupt our state. It will kill our city. The average citizen does not use public transit, and our city is not set up for it. The construction of the bike trail project is another jobs program. It is designed to create a traffic problem where none exists. Then they can call for light rail because of the traffic congestion. It is a brilliant shake down plan from the lefty progressives and I will fight it with all that is in me. If you value your safe communities and liberty, you will too.

In a sane nation, the citizenry would be able to ride public transportation in a cheap, clean, and safe manner. As an alternative to costly commutes via car (in opportunity costs, gasoline, and time away from ones family), having effective public transportation is the best way to gauge the true strength and vitality of a community. We can not sustain it here.
    reply from Robert: Wow. Thanks for the links and the comment. I am going to read those and I really appreciate this.

4. K says:

One more thing about “traffic calming”, a newest liberal social engineering program, in case you didn’t know.

The urban planners do things like replacing an ordinary four-way stop sign with an island in the middle of the intersection, and calling it a “traffic circle” to jam things up. Then they cover the island with tall bushes so you can’t see the other cars, forcing you to move slowly to avoid the cars you can no longer see.

Another engineering stunt is to extend the sidewalks out into the street at intersections, creating a sort of peninsula that blocks people from turning right while others are waiting for the light to change. Then you get long lines of honking traffic and a jammed up intersection once the other light turns green. Of course, this puts pedestrians at risk, so they put concrete posts and beams in to protect them.

You just can not tell a liberal do-gooder no. They are on a mission to Utopia and won’t be stopped by pesky statistics and the evil truth.

Another means of traffic calming is playing around with the synchronization of the traffic lights. On 38th Street, I can only go about two blocks without having another red light. It is part of a deliberate effort to make driving inconvenient so that the Utopian Visionaries can force us upon us their their plan, where everyone chucks their evil automobile and blissfully rides their bikes and catches the bus to a movie and dinner downtown, even in the rain and snow.

And all this, of course, also means more make work for city employees. Instant transfer payments! What’s not to like? When people start screaming about traffic jams, then we can justify robbing the hard-working tax payer (again) to pay for light rail and the bureaucracy required to support it.
    reply from Robert: You have given me a lot to think about. I appreciate that a lot. Thank you. I might have a post coming soon about all this.

5. K says:

You said: ‘the prices for tickets are going to be low, it is no wonder the people love the idea.’ What????
    $8 billion is more like it. And federal spending on transit this year represents a $2300 subsidy for each passenger, not including local and state funds devoted to such programs. Just like “green energy”, Obama is picking winners again and stealing from American citizens, which would be a crime in any other circumstance. This is more proof that this is a huge transfer of wealth and reparations program for selected groups. It makes everyone feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but there is no proof that this will work in Indianapolis. The liberals don’t live any where near the mess they wish to impose on the rest of us. But have no fear…the intellectual class and urban planners knows what is best for us, since we are all just stupid knuckle-dragging Americans clinging to our guns and religion.

“Despite the comparatively small number served by buses, subways and rail, the Obama Administration has made expanding mass transit a top priority. “President Obama’s vision of robust, high-speed rail service offers Americans the kind of travel options that throughout our history have contributed to economic growth and enhanced quality of life,” Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in April. “We simply can’t build the economy of the future on the transportation networks of the past.”

The stimulus bill poured $8 billion into the president’s proposed expansion of rail. Another $8.4 billion in taxpayer funds have been directed to “stimulate” mass transit on top of the existing federal money set aside for such programs. The president’s 2010 budget sought $42 billion for highway spending compared to $10.3 billion for mass transit programs that serve just five percent of the working public. The president strongly defended his priorities.”
    reply from Robert: I got that line from someone on the Garrison show on WIBC when he was talking about this. The tickets he was talking about was the price to ride the light rail. Sorry I didn’t make that clearer. And I love the way you put the costs of everything in this comment. I hope a lot of people read it. Because this lady is right on that one. It is not cheap.

6. K says:

United States
    S0802. Means of Transportation to Work by Selected Characteristics Data Set: 2006-2008 American Community Survey 3-Year Estimates Survey: American Community Survey
    reply from Robert: Thanks for that link. Going there now.