Where is the Incentive to work?

Exxon Oil, this week announced it’s earnings for this last month, and it gave to them the biggest profit for a company in the history of this country.

But, all day long, all I have heard, is how they need to be “punished” for doing so well. And that my friends, is where everyone is getting it wrong.

In America, one of the American dreams, has always been to own your own business and to do well with it. I know that doing well with a business, is not the easiest thing in the world, as I have a graphics and printing business that is just….doing….not failing, but not doing well either. Not enough customers. But now the incentive to do well with my business is starting to disappear, because, if you fail…the government will bail you out and try to get you going again….but if you succeed…they punish you by taxing the crap out of you. It doesn’t seem to matter to the liberals, if bad decisions were made or not. So, here is my take on what we should do now……

….To me, what anyone should do, is start a business, and instead of succeeding with it, make it fail…because then, and only then, will you get rewarded by our government. They will bail you out for failing. But if you succeed…they will punish you and make you the bad guy for doing well.

What Harry Reid, Nancy Palosi, Dick Durbin and others are missing here is the Supply and Demand principle. You know. If there is a demand for something then someone will make a supply for it? U.S.A Today has this article in the paper today:

ExxonMobil profit, $11.7B, sets another U.S. record

By John Porretto, AP Business Writer

HOUSTON — ExxonMobil (XOM) reported second-quarter earnings of $11.68 billion Thursday, the biggest profit from operations ever by any U.S. corporation, but the results were well short of Wall Street expectations and its shares fell.
The world’s largest publicly traded oil company said net income for the April-June period came to $2.22 a share, up from $10.26 billion, or $1.83 a share, a year ago.
Revenue rose 40% to $138.1 billion from $98.4 billion in the year-earlier quarter.
Excluding an after-tax charge of $290 million related to an Exxon Valdez court settlement, earnings amounted to $11.97 billion, or $2.27 a share.
Analysts on average expected ExxonMobil to earn $2.52 a share on revenue of $144 billion, according to a survey by Thomson Financial. The estimates typically exclude one-time items.

People, we are nuts to believe this is right.

One of the greatest things about this country is the opportunity to do well with yourself. You could start out dirt poor, and end up one of the richest people in the world if things go your way. Exxon Oil, has done just that….but now, because they have done so well, with their choice of business, they have the politicians and some of the people, clamoring for a tax to hurt them and make them give back some of their profits. Are we freaking nuts here? The only thing that Exxon did wrong here people, was to sell gasoline for a profit, which is something that every other company in the world does, but because they did well at it, our government’s liberal half is trying to punish them for their good work. Mark my words here people…..we are heading down a slippery slope that will not be easy to recover from….and we will want to. Do not doubt this. We are heading down the wrong path……the path to a generation of people just sitting and waiting for the government to come to their rescue…and with this one…if it happens…the precedence will have been set. Then something worse will happen. MARK MY WORDS HERE. We are going the wrong way now. After years and years of government regulations saying where and where not the oil companies could drill and the such….their bad decisions are coming home to roost, as someone infamous said a short time ago about something else. I say it again. This is the wrong direction to go.

God Bless our Troops….always
God Bless my readers, my listeners on BTR, and my viewers on Youtube….

-Seane Anna-

6 Responses to Where is the Incentive to work?

1. Christopher Herron says:

Ok I get and fully understand the capitalist mentality as I am also a business owner, however, when is enough enough?

Exxon breaking profit records makes me feel as though there is no gas crisis just price gouging for the sake of investors. Damn wish someone would of drop the dime on this I would have put my retirement and life savings in this industry.

2. blonde1981 says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. I am sick and tired of hearing the complaining especially since I work in the oil industry here in Houston. What people don’t realize is that Dubai is tax free and if we start levying taxes on the oil companies here, it doesn’t take much to move over there. It is already happening and people are fools to think it won’t continue.

3. wonton says:

Keep up the great work!

Although I am worried, I just saw a local News

report predicting that John McCain will loose his

home state of Arizona!!!

CBS 5 News: Will McCain loose Arizona?

Is this for real??!!

4. Jinno says:

I couldn’t agree more. What’s that? Not what you were expecting? Well, it’s true.

One of my biggest disagreements with Barrack Obama’s economic policies is his insistence that we should impose Windfall penalties on a company. The reason I dislike this is that it punishes the free market. Sure they trade an inelastically demanded product, and that effects us when prices are high. But the only reason that Exxon is posting record profits is because of the fact that the value of the dollar is dropping and our consumption of the product is increasing. The only thing, by Economic theory, that a Windfall tax would do, is push that cost back onto the consumer.

I also hate this idealism by our leaders (Liberal and “Conservative” alike) that some companies are too big to fail. Fannie Mae and Eddie Mac and Bear Stearns should never have been propped up by tax dollars. It’s their own fault for taking on risky loans, and ultimately ruining the value of our debt-based dollar. The banking system needs regulation if we’re going to pay for it, so that our savings will not be ruined by people who are buying things they can’t afford. Otherwise, keep out and only regulate how they can borrow and create money to give us.

But at the same time, our economy has benefited greatly from the progressive tax structure that it has. A flat tax, while fair to those who are successful, weighs harshly upon those who make less. While a high tax rate may take more of the income from a richer man, it takes less from that which is used to pay bills and buy food proportionally.

There are two ways to be responsible fiscally. Either get more income to match increased spending, or you cut spending and then cut income. You can’t raise one without the other, and it’s not responsible to cut one without the other. That’s just simple budgeting. The problem is that politically it’s so hard to raise taxes on anything but the rich, but it’s so easy to raise spending politically. It’s not popular to be fiscally responsible, and that’s impacting our economy on a metric arseton of levels.

5. onemargaret says:

I agree. The world is a joke! I just found out that my son may have to go back to Iraq for a second time. He was deployed in October 2006 and came back in November 2007. I don’t understand what is going on and I definitely do not like it one bit!

Jinno, I can’t believe you actually made sense! OMIGOD!!!!! That cold day in hell finally arrived!

Seriously, though, your comment was well worded and equally well reasoned. The only thing I disagree with is your support of the “progressive” tax. That is what Robert’s post was about, Jinno. A “progressive” tax punishes the wealthy for being successful, thereby killing the drive to work and succeed. It also confuses theft with charity. If I give a hungry man some money of my own free will, that’s charity. If that same money is taken from me by force, i.e., taxed, that’s a mugging, no matter how many hungry people the mugger, i.e., government, gives the money to. Capeesh?

And to you, Onemargaret. The way things are going you should be happy your son is being deployed to Iraq and not Afghanistan. More American soldiers are now being killed in Afghanistan than in Iraq. Hope that makes you feel better.