To Spank or Not to Spank……

Another great post, by my co-author, which was originally posted on her blog a few days ago. Here is what she had to say:

Well, I guess it’s time to bring up THAT issue.
While surfing blogs on Blog Explosion several months ago I came across an anti-spanking blog. I briefly perused the site and was going to leave a comment when I saw that comments had been disabled by the author due to unpleasant remarks left by spankers who “tend to be an angry lot”. I lost all interest in the blog right then and there. To accuse adults who spank children of being somehow abnormally angry is the kind of self-righteousness that I often see in anti-spankers.

As you’ve probably guessed I’m pro-spanking, i.e. I believe that parents who want to spank their children should be allowed to without judgment and definitely without interference from the state. I even believe that day care workers should be allowed to spank children with parental permission. I know I just ticked off half the universe with that opinion. People, especially the anti-spankers, can get really emotional on this issue. So let me explain why I believe spanking is ok.

The main reason I’m pro-spanking is because I was spanked as a child and I turned out alright. No, I don’t think that everything that happens to someone in childhood should be mindlessly accepted and repeated. I certainly believe in subjecting one’s upbringing to a critical review. However, I was spanked as a child and I’m ok. As hard as it may be for the anti-spankers to believe, I’m not a child abuser, domestic abuser, violent criminal or depressed psychotic in spite of the fact that my mother whipped my tush when I needed it. The idea that spanking teaches violence is one of the anti-spankers’ favorite arguments against physical punishment but I’ve never seen that connection in real life.

Sure, there are murderers and other violent criminals who were spanked as kids but there are also countless hardworking, law-abiding, and decent people who are loving spouses and parents who were also spanked as kids. Somehow their existence doesn’t register on the anti-spankers’ radar screens. Let’s be honest here. It takes a combination of many different influences to make someone an habitually violent person. To say that spanking is the decisive factor is a little too pat for me.

Part of the problem is that anti-spanking activists tend to conflate spanking with abuse. The blog mentioned above claimed it was dedicated to protecting children from “physical assault”. That’s a loaded statement. The term “assault” conjures up dire images in the minds of most people. The effort to equate those images with parents who pop their kids on the behind every once in a while is insulting, to say the least. But that’s the dishonest tactic the anti-spankers use. Of course, many anti-spankers may sincerely believe that any physical punishment of children is physical assault, but that just makes me question their judgment.

Spanking isn’t abuse; it’s a method of discipline that children need to become productive, responsible adults. Children are not the equal of adults, a fact some anti-spankers tend to forget. Children are rightfully under the authority of adults because their understanding of life is not fully developed. Children don’t know what is best for them but will do whatever is appealing regardless of the consequences. In fact, they lack the life experience to fully understand the concept of consequences, especially long term consequences. As the Bible so accurately puts it, “Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child but the rod of correction will drive it from him.” I think the extent to which someone believes this proverb determines whether he’s pro or anti-spanking.

I don’t believe that parents have to spank their children to raise them properly. I just believe that parents who do shouldn’t be condemned for it. I feel that pro-spanking people–parents and non-parents alike–are by far the more tolerant side of this debate. They aren’t the ones accusing people of being abusers and assaulters; they aren’t the ones demanding that the state force their views on others through force of law.

If you don’t want to spank your child then don’t. If you believe that spanking is an effective tool in an overall discipline strategy then use it and don’t sweat what the anti-spankers say. Fight all attempst to outlaw spanking; that’s an egregious assault on parents’ rights to raise their children as they see fit. Yes, some people will make decisions for their kids that other people don’t like but unless those decisions are abusive government–and activists of all kinds–has absolutely NO right to interfere. So I say spank if you feel it’s right, don’t if you don’t, and live and let live. That’s a lesson in tolerance children can really use.

God Bless our Troops always
God Bless my readers, listeners on BTR and viewers on Youtube

-Seane Anna-

12 Responses to To Spank or Not to Spank……

I’m pro-spanking, i.e. I believe that parents who want to spank their children should be allowed to withtout judgement and definitely without interference from the state…Agreed!!..thoughtful subject Robert!:)

2. zardozz says:

The writers and moderators at ZardozZ News & Satire search constantly for interesting feed content and we came across your site today. We would like to invite you to add your site to our blogring as your material appears interesting and aligned with our readership. If you are interested, you can find further information at the ZZ OpenRing. This is not meant as spam but as a sincere invitation. Hope you’ll join us…
    ZZ Staff

3. May says:

Well, i was spanked and never took it personal. And look what good it did to me. I’ve seen how my friends who gre up w/o boundaries are now. Spanking (within reason) in most cases does more good than bad.

4. Pobept says:

A child left to their on decisions and un monitored and controlled actions is a criminal in the making

5. Nya says:

I don’t have any children but when I do, they will be spanked. Every child needs discipline. Spanking is a part of discipline. Period. And it does not = abuse. Every unwanted behavior needs to be matched with what would be an unpleasant consequence for the one exhibiting that behavior in effort to replace the unwanted behavior with one that is wanted.

No, spanking is not always warranted. For example, I wouldn’t spank my child for accidently spilling his/her milk. To me that’s over board. But I don’t have the right to bash someone who would. I agree with the author. To spank or not to spank is the decision of each individual parent. The government just needs to leave certain things out of it’s paws.

6. mish.tragic says:

I find people who claim spanking is child abuse offensive. I was abused as a child, I’ve been diagnosed with PTSD and multiple personalities because of how extreme that abuse was.

I find it disturbing that these people can not tell the difference between abuse and discipline.

Where does it end? Will they next be saying that time out in a child’s bedroom is a hostage situation? What about forcing a child to take a shower or bath, is that torture?

Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.

I’m from New Zealand where an anti-spanking law has actually passed. People here are claiming that it will stop people from killing their children, that it gives more powers to the courts if someone does abuse a child. It is all lies.

Many parents here are scared to discipline their children in public at all, be it simply to tell them off, for fear of being seen as a bad parent and being reported to child services and loosing their children. It has completely undermined parents confidence in their ability to be strong role models for their children.

I strongly urge you, please don’t let them pass such laws in America.

I feel this topic goes very well with your one with the Communist goals … number 40 .. this law is it ..

7. FrankNorman says:

In practical terms, what else would a small child understand, in terms of disciple?
    “Johnny, stop throwing rocks through the windows!”
    Or else what?
    “Johnny, no TV for you!”
    Johnny sits down and watches TV anyway.

you get the idea?

8. Kupe says:

I agree that spankers are not abusers. I alos agree that kids need boundaries and should understand that there are consequences for their actions.

Where I disagree is that spanking is the best or even a good form of discipline. We constantly tell our kids to not hit other kids to resolve an issue. If we hit to resolve an issue that directly shows our children that is OK to hit. Our actions speak the loudest.

9. bb says:

The state DOES NOT have the right to tell anyone how to parent. My jr. hi. daughter screams obscenities at me when she doesn’t get her way, so I always start w/ talking, taking away priviledges, her cell phone, etc. But when I’ve had enough & she’s had 5 or 6 warnings to stop? SPANK.

reply from Robert: There has to be consequences to their actions…otherwise they will grow up to be hoodlums. And I do not know of any parent that wants their kids to grow up bad…..spanking is a must if the child is out and out defying authority of the parent. The parent has to be in charge. That is how the child learns. When the Child is in charge bad things happen.

You’re my kind of parent, bb!

11. Neil H says:

This is a common belief: “I was spanked and I turned out alright.”

I used to say that too. You saying that doesnt mean anything,, if there was repressed pain you wouldnt know about it,, because it is hidden away deep inside of you.

Anyone that thinks it is o.k. to hit a young child is very sick and lost. I dont intend on explaining why because someone that sees this as healthy and a behaviour that encourages healthy growth in the child is clearly sick and twisted.

reply from Robert: First off, the author didn’t say anything about spanking young children. Usually the spankings are implemented as a “consequences” thing when the young boy or girl has not followed instructions, or has been bad. People like you seem to think that to punish a kid is a bad thing, ‘just let them get away with anything. Who cares what the consequences of they’re actions are later in life….just don’t teach them that there are consequences to actions, and they will be okay……’ I would hate to see your children when they grow up with that kind of thinking. I have a neighbor that thinks as you do, and they will not spank or discipline their kid….and she *the kid* is totally out of control and actually runs the house…..because she sees no consequences to her actions. My girls are well behaved because they know there are consequences to every action. And they are not abused either. Not showing a kid what the consequences to bad actions are, is in itself, a form of abuse.

12. Rose says:

Bravo! I love this article about pro-spanking! Well done! It is about TIME that somebody had some sense and practicality and courage and strength to implement discipline in a C-H-I-L-D! A child is NOT equal to a parent. A parent is the superior role model! A child does not respect their parent(s) when that parent(s), does not have the guts to discipline their child!

This is AMAZING WHAT YOU ARE DOING! More praise should be given to people like you!
    You need to pat yourself on the back! Reward yourself!
    reply from Wise Conservatism: I will let Seane Anna know you said this. She will be happy you liked her post. As for being pro spanking…one of the reasons that kids are such hoodlums today is because they are not disciplined when they are bad. And they need to be. But, on the other hand, the parent needs to praise them when they are good.